Besides a Halloween party at work, where I plan to dress up as either Eleven from Stranger Things or Pippi Longstocking, we don’t have any major to-dos this year. Even still, after having so much fun doing the makeup for my Day of the Dead Skull look last year, I wanted to challenge myself with another makeup look. Maybe it’s because my unruly locks lend themselves to dressing up as a wild animal, but for whatever reason I started looking at deer makeup tutorials. After a few Google searches, I was hooked on the idea of dressing up as a deer to hand out candy this year.
I followed Lauren Conrad’s tutorial for making the deer antlers, but instead of using faux fur for the ears, I used felt to save a little time and money. And after being inspired by a Google search for DIY deer antlers, I decided to add some fake flowers that I had on hand as well.
For the makeup, I didn’t follow one specific tutorial, I just looked at a bunch of examples in Google images and pulled a little inspiration from each. Here are the steps I followed:
1. I started with my typical makeup that I wear to work everyday: foundation, brown eye shadow, black eyeliner and mascara.
2. Next I used the same black eyeliner to extend the lines that were already there and traced a thicker line around my eyes.
3. Then I rubbed a little white eyeshadow under my eyes, on my forehead and on my chin.
4. Next I started applying bronzer around the edges of my face and across my cheeks.
5. With white crayons from an old Halloween makeup kit, I drew small white circles on my cheeks and forehead.
7. Using a black crayon from the same Halloween makeup kit, I drew a nose and one straight line connecting the nose to my lips. I then filled in just my upper lip.
8. To complete the look, I donned my antlers and put on this tan sweater. You could wear this with anything brown to pull off the look. It’s that easy!
What are you dressing up as for Halloween this year?